The Krishen Jit ASTRO Fund 2014
Call for Applications
The Krishen Jit ASTRO Fund has been created by ASTRO and Five Arts Centre to encourage and support creative work in Malaysia. One of the main objectives of Krishen's pioneering work was celebrating original Malaysian creativity in as varied and alternative ways as possible in all the areas of the arts.
His groundbreaking theatre practice straddled and brought together a wide range of contrasting spheres, producing projects that were inter-disciplinary, multicultural, multilingual and experimental.
Negotiating between academia and practice, tradition and contemporary pop culture, Hollywood and Bollywood, the mainstream and the marginalized, Krishen's work articulated a Malaysian identity that was ever evolving and encouraged practitioners and audiences to reflect on their lives and societies.
This is the spirit of the Krishen Jit ASTRO Fund.
Once again, in 2014, the fund will give out grants ranging from RM2,000 to RM20,000 for:
- Experimental productions
- Research and documentation
- Creating new work in music, dance, theatre, writing, film, visual/performance art
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Artist A might want to study under a well-known theatre director. Artist A could apply to be attached to a production directed by the director for a 4-6 week period. This would give artist A insights and learning on methods of this director.
- Artist B might want to do research on a subject for purposes of writing a new script. Artist B could apply to do this research and write the script.
- Artist C could apply to direct and mount an experimental workshop or production.
- Artist D could apply to attend a training workshop within or outside of Malaysia.
- Attachments and internships.
The Krishen Jit ASTRO Fund will try to be inclusive, but work sited in Malaysia will be given preference. All arts practitioners in Malaysia are eligible to apply. The fund will be managed by Five Arts Centre and ASTRO.
The selection panel for awarding the grants shall comprise:
- Datuk Norliza Rofli - Director, Department of Culture and Arts, Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Malaysia.
- Jolyn Gasper - Snr. AVP Corporate Responsibility, Corporate Responsibility, Community Affairs, ASTRO.
- Leow Puay Tin - Head, Department of Performance & Media, Sunway University.
- Ravi Navaratnam - Five Arts Centre
- Mac Chan - Five Arts Centre
Application procedure - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- You may apply in English or Bahasa Malaysia.
- Please keep your application limited to material that directly supports your application and our understanding of your work.
- Your completed application with all information (including CV) should not exceed 10 pages.
- Each application should have only one project proposal.
- Please use Times New Roman, point size 11 in your application.
- You must complete all 6 sections of the application form. Please follow the order given.
- The selection panel reserves the right to call applicants for interview should the need arise.
- Grantees of the Krishen Jit ASTRO Fund are not eligible to apply for the grant for the next two consecutive years from receiving the grant.
Applications that do not follow the required format will be rejected.
Please mail all applications to:
Five Arts Centre
27 & 27A Lorong Datuk Sulaiman 7
Taman Tun Dr Ismail
60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel/Fax: +603-7725 4858
Or email to: email@example.com